Event for when object is marked as billed

Hello,

Is it possible to trigger a smart event when an object's billed field is changed?

What I am trying to do is detect when a timesheet or an order entry's "billed" field gets set to true. I setup an event for when a timesheet or an order entry is "set", but the event I created is not getting triggered when an item is set to billed = true.

If there is no way to do this, is there a way to associate an invoice's items with the actual item (order entry or timesheet) being billed?

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can't really because what you're trying to do is compare the value of a field with its previous value and you don't get that functionality in Intacct without creating a custom object to hold the values and that will get more complex. A trigger can be set to run when a field value changes, which is what you need. If you don't have access to triggers, you need to enable platform services. If you did a smart event and tried to do something with the condition where you check to see if the value is paid, it would fire an every update/change/save if the value was set to that.

"If you did a smart event and tried to do something with the condition where you check to see if the value is paid, it would fire an every update/change/save if the value was set to that."

This seems like what I would like. If the event fires whenever the object is modified, that is okay. However, when the object, let's say a timesheet, gets its billed value set to "true", no event gets triggered. A value is being changed but a "set" event for this object is not being triggered when this happens.

Keep in mind it is the creation and posting of an invoice that is changing this field. Is that what is causing no event to fire even though a field in the timesheet is being changed?

The simplest way to test your logic is to create smart events that send you an email. Then you can go through and test if it works. If you get an email when you want it to fire, then your logic is correct. So on an add it will only ever fire once. On a set, it will fire every time the record gets modified. If you want it to fire when it is modified but only once, then you need a condition that checks a flag which you will need to set. It's tricky to suggest much more without actually doing the work.

I did test with an email send. I have no conditions set for the send; I simply want to send an email anytime the object is set. Ideally, I only want to send the email when billed = "true" on the object, but I wanted to test if an invoice being created would trigger a set at all.

This is part of the order entry detail event I have set up:

image.png.12f50659120a1a2f2b8d4bf82f346f74.pngimage.png.28bfe5da3920c8112add76a4119509b3.png
However, when I convert and post an order entry as an invoice, the "set" is not triggered for this item. This is not triggered despite the value of "billed", for example, being set when an invoice is generated and posted. Is this expected behaviour?