Multi-tenancy in Sage

I am of the understanding that in Sage Business Cloud it is not possible to have multiple companies under a single Sage account, but in Sage 50 it is possible. Although Sage 50 is a desktop application, it is still possible to use some of the cloud-based functionality.

If a Sage 50 user goes through OAuth, are they given the option of which companies are accessible on the token, or is it one company per token, or is the user only able to allow all companies?

If I call an endpoint (say, Contacts) with a token for a user with multiple companies, in the response is there any indication of which company  each contact belongs to?

HI Chris

Thank you for your question. We have a guide on multi business which may answer some of your questions.

As you mentioned, it isn't possible to have multiple businesses under a single account (Sage ID) at present. Each business requires a separate account(sage ID) to be registered. This however, does not prevent a user from having access to multiple businesses through invitation.

Once authenticated the businesses endpoint can be called which in turn will return an array of the businesses together with their individual ID that the authenticated user has access to.

If you were to call the contacts endpoint the response header will contain the x-business attribute with the id of the business as the value. If you haven't specified the x-business attribute in the request header the request will default to the lead business. 

Thanks

Mark 

Thanks Mark for your reply. The link has helped a lot but I still have a couple of questions:

In OAuth, when the user allows the app, what kind of control do they have over which business(es) they allow my app to have access to?

14 hours ago, Steel, Mark said:

This however, does not prevent a user from having access to multiple businesses through invitation.

Could you elaborate on this a little? If a user has been invited to another business, are they able to see both businesses under a single Sage login? How does the invitation process happen?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi Chris

The oAuth flow is a User authorising your app to connect to any business they have access to. They do not have control over the selection of business, this is achieved via the integrating app providing the user with a list of businesses to select from, should more than one business be accessible to them.

Users are invited to access business data via Settings>User Management>Invite User (see attached).
Once the user has accepted the invite to access an additional business, they are able to select the business from the top right of the Sage Business Cloud Accounting UI as shown in the attached images.

Thanks

Mark 

Invite_User.png

Business_Selection.png

1 hour ago, Steel, Mark said:

They do not have control over the selection of business, this is achieved via the integrating app providing the user with a list of businesses to select from

So if my app does not explicitly request them to choose a particular business, by default would they be allowing all businesses?

Ah ok, I think I get it now. OAuth always allows my app access to all businesses linked to the account... the business my app makes requests for has to be stipulated in the header otherwise it will be the lead.

Thanks for your help